Expressions such as psychology is dead in

A cognitive scientist once told me that psychology is dead.

are examples of personification, in this case, to convey the idea that psychology is using an outdated paradigm to study how the brain works.

How should I translate that into Chinese? I once said to a relative of mine who speaks Chinese

有个认知学家告诉过我,心理学已经死亡。

and he couldn't understand what I meant until I told him about the re-interpration of the Stanford marshmallow experiment.

So what are some better translation for the expression "psychology is dead"? An alternative I can thought of would be "心理学已经过时" but that would mean removing the figure of speech from the original expression, and I'd like to avoid that.

Friedrich Nietzsche: "Gott ist tot."

Well-known translation: 上帝已死。

Stephen Hawking: "Philosophy is dead."

Well-known translation: 哲学已死。

Thus I believe the best translation for "Psychology is dead" should be 心理学已死。

PS: Of course, without context, one might hardly understand the meaning, but any other translation won't do either. So an idiom-like expression fits.

• @ArchyWilhes You're welcome :) – Stan Dec 22 '15 at 9:08
    answer agrees with iciba 翻译:心理学已死 – user6065 Dec 22 '15 at 9:09
  • @user6065 is iciba 翻译 good (say, vs google translation [in general])? Does it get things right most of the time? – 吖奇说 ARCHY SHUō Dec 22 '15 at 9:11
  • @ArchyWilhes, apparently better than google, most of the time although not completely right, its results could be used as a starting point to be corrected as needed – user6065 Dec 22 '15 at 14:53
  • @user6065 Cool. Great info. Thanks. – 吖奇说 ARCHY SHUō Dec 22 '15 at 15:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.