More from Chouchengzhi.

I would appreciate thoughts on my translation of the following...my supervisor doesn't like my translation of 得趣 at all! Does it mean something more like 'to get a taste for something'?

伏念襄。穀城之種。曹溪之流。王,謝相隨。擅風流於江左。嵇,劉得趣。寄閑情於竹林。

Brew (Yang) is of the genus of Grain Citadel (Gucheng), and the current of Dregs Creek (Caoxi). The Wang and Xie families both followed [the Yang family], and monopolised elegance and civilisation south of the lower reaches of the Yangtze. Xi [Kang] and Liu [Ling] shared a past-time [with the Yang family], living in seclusion in the bamboo grove.

• Does it mean maybe to get attention/be noticed by someone? – na-jeongin Jan 21 '16 at 6:34
    Googled 愁城志, it's an ancient Korean novel written in Chinese, interesting. 得趣 translated literally means "gain happiness/fun", so here might mean 嵇, 刘 live a happy life in the bamboo forest. – thinwa Jan 21 '16 at 7:32
  • Thank you, I didn't realise 趣 could just be happiness – na-jeongin Jan 21 '16 at 10:07

得趣 = technical term in Taoism. to find true meaning. Often used for the meaning (or pleasures), that hermits find in their surroundings.

朝退常歸隱,真修大隱情。園林應得趣,巖谷自爲名

Where are you getting the Yang family?

• In this passage General Malt (Guk Yang) is writing his own biography...Should be Guk family* – na-jeongin Jan 21 '16 at 11:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.