characters

I know that separately they should mean something like "beauty", "love", "friend", "mad", but written like this, do they form a sentence?

closed as off-topic by Drunken Master, songyuanyao, NS.X., Stan, congusbongus Feb 16 '16 at 23:24

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not provide a bulk translation service." – Drunken Master, songyuanyao, NS.X., Stan, congusbongus
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

source? internet search seems to confirm that this is an uncommon combination, even 友狂 seems to be uncommon, 从何而来?正如互联网搜索会证实那样,这很可能算是一个罕见组合字,甚至"友狂"太罕见 – user6065 Jan 22 '16 at 13:12
  • cf.宗教狂、政治狂,religious/political fanatic,工作狂workaholic、偷窥狂voyeur 美爱友 iciba 翻译 the beauty of love, therefore perhaps "beauty of love fanatic" – user6065 Jan 22 '16 at 19:34
    I bet 50 cents: these random characters come from a tattoo. – Stan Jan 31 '16 at 8:35
  • I second the tattoo bet. On a white dude with long hair and a permanent, hazy, mile stare. – dda Feb 16 '16 at 19:51

Let's slightly analyze them:

According to: http://xh.5156edu.com/

The following characters falls in these parts of speech:

美:【形】 【動】 【量】
愛:【動】 【名】
友:【動】 【名】
狂:【形】 【動】

Since these characters would definitely not make a valid sentence in Modern Chinese, let's assume we are dealing with Classical Chinese.

A typical Classical Chinese sentence consist of: 主語、謂語、賓語 or you can understand it like Subject Predicate Object in English.

This is a possible combination:

【形】【名】【動】【形】

We can do a 詞性活用 (a hack if you will), and make 狂 become a 【名】 to mean "a crazy person". The sentence would mean:

Beautiful love befriends with a crazy person.

Please note that this is just for the sake of answering the question. Don't use it because nobody will understand it.

Unfortunately I don't think these four characters form a sentence or phrase. My guess is this comes from someone's tattoo because these four characters are very common in U.S. But I have never seen them appearing together...

No, they don't form a sentence = = They are just four random words

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.