I believe you can informally say "gěi" when handing something over like the soy sauce during dinner, right?

But what can you say when you give a gift? Like "Here you go" instead of just "Here". Or maybe "This is for you". Something simple and short, please. :)

Something simple and short, then 这是(送)给你的。 – songyuanyao Jan 24 '16 at 13:18
  • If someone gave me a gift and just said "Here you go" I would think they were trying to make it seem routine, or unimportant. Do you mean to suggest that? – Colin McLarty Jan 24 '16 at 23:28
    Colin, well no, not really, but a) Chinese don't like to open or look at presents in front of you, and b) I don't know enough Mandarin to have a proper conversation but I'd still like to say -something- when handing over the gift. ^_^ songyuanyao, thank you. – Aaron Jan 25 '16 at 19:40

When you are handing over a gift:

• 送给你。("A gift for you."), or
  • 给你。 ("For you."), or
  • 这是给你的。("This is for you.")

You can expand it, like:

• 这是给你的...。 ("This is a/some ... for you."), or

• 这本书是送给你的。("This book is a gift for you.")

Don't forget that in some cases, you have to use 您 instead of 你.

You can make it more polite by saying: 请收下 ("Please accept it.") or if you are accepting a gift and your partner makes some polite comment about the gift and/or the occasion you can say: "谢谢,我收下了。" ("Thank you, I accept it.")

• 谢谢^^ Very helpful. – Aaron Jan 25 '16 at 19:47
  • Thank you, please consider accepting the answer if you are satisfied with it. – Drunken Master Jan 26 '16 at 12:36
    I tried, but it says I need a reputation of 15 to vote it up. :S Edit: Oooh. Okay, is it accepted now? Wrong button I think. – Aaron Jan 27 '16 at 12:46

I most often hear people say 送你 in Taiwan when they give presents, not sure if mainland would be different though.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.