I found a translation of 这里开了家医院 to "There is a hospital here" but this translation seems to ignore the word 开了。

Does the word 开了 add addition meaning to the sentence which the translation does not include or is it a perfectly valid translation?

cf."汉语水平考试词典开",开:[义6]兴办;创立(set up;run):~创|他在路边~了一家小吃店|几个人合伙~了一家贸易公司, there is a hospital = it has been set up, is being run – user6065 Jan 27 '16 at 11:30
  • check your university or public library for "Introduction to Chinese-English Translation Key Concepts and Techniques" – user6065 Jan 27 '16 at 12:52
  • cf。 99lib.net/book/5929/206788.htm D.Hammett, The Dain Curse: I learned where these joints were and then went downtown again,...我问清楚了这两家店开在什么地方,就又回城里去了... – user6065 Feb 24 '16 at 18:49

这里 开了 家 医院。
Here opened a hospital.

They opened up a hospital here.

Translating is also a task of creation. Translators can change a bit the original meaning so the sentence sounds better in the target language.

| improve this answer | |
  • They opened up a hospital here. – SIDU Jan 28 '16 at 2:40

"There's a hospital here." is okay but it does omit "开了".

In my perspective, "There's a hospital here" = "这里有家医院".

"开了" adds a subtle change to the sentence that, imagine you're no stranger to this place, then someday you find that there's a hospital which you've never known before, then you may say "这里开了家医院".

In translation, you don't necessarily need translate "开了" literally as "someone opened/founded". I suggest to translate this as "这里开了家新医院".

Though there's no "新" in the original sentence, but this could imply the change from "这里没有医院" to "这里有家医院".

Word-to-word translation is not always good.

For example, a similar mistake Chinese English beginners always make:

桌子上有一本书 <--> There have a book on the table

Here, 有 is not always the English word "have".

I think it just means "has just been opened". It is much like the use of the English perfect tense to give news.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.