I know that it is grammatical to say "我游了三次泳."

If I wanted to say, "I saw you three times," could I say it as "我看过你三次见"?

Thank you, Rachel

• doubtful, 我看见过你三次 would be correct – user6065 Feb 17 '16 at 18:26
  • No. I don't know the exact reason but I guess whether you can break a two-character verb like 游了三次泳 depends on the formation of the verb. For two-character verbs constructed by "verb+noun" it's fine, such as 游泳,打架,吃惊,睡觉. But 看见 is "verb+verb" so breaking it like that is wrong. – Stan Feb 17 '16 at 18:28
  • 我看了你三眼 is the analogous form here. – user4452 Feb 17 '16 at 18:44
  • although iciba,e。g。,classifies 泳 as 动词,it seems to be always treated as noun, at least in the combination 游泳,on the other hand 见 in 看见 functions as complement of result (similar to 到) – user6065 Feb 17 '16 at 18:49
    "现代汉语离合词用法词典"containing 4066"离合词"includes "看见",-> there are different types of "离合词"(in the wide sense):看见:看而有结果,即看到。[离](1)"看"与"见"之间加"得",表示可能:黑板上的字你看得见吗?屋子里的东西我都看得见(2)"看"与"见"之间加"不",表示不可能:屋外漆黑一片,我什么都看不见。/大雁飞得很快,一眨眼就看不见了。[合]合任谓语:你看见那幅世界名画了吗?(2)合带"了"、"过"等助词:林老师呢?你看见了吗?/峨眉山的金顶日出你看见过吗?(3)合带宾语:站在窗口,可以看见大海。(4)合带状语:我刚才在图书馆看见新来的校长了。(5)合带补语:这种大鲨鱼我只看见过一次!!!!!!![误]你刚才看见没有苏珊?[正](1)你刚才看见苏珊没有?(2)你刚才看没看见苏珊?(3)你刚才看见苏珊了吗? – user6065 Feb 18 '16 at 0:51

No, you can't.

The first sentence: 游 is a verb. 泳 is a noun.

The second sentence: 看 is a verb. 見 is an adverb. It is not the same structure as the first one.

You should just say 我看過你三次 or 我見過你三次.

• No, is a verb. – songyuanyao Feb 18 '16 at 2:16
  • You can't just look at one word. It's very normal in Chinese to change a word's type in a sentence. It's called "轉品." When you say "游了三次泳," 泳 becomes a noun. – Shawn Feb 18 '16 at 2:30
  • So is a verb, is a verb, and 游泳 become verb + noun here. And then is a verb, is a verb, but 看见 doesn't become verb + noun. Why? What's the difference? That's the point what OP is asking. – songyuanyao Feb 18 '16 at 2:33
  • So why 看見 can't be verb + noun? Because that's not what people mean. If it was verb + noun, then became an object, saw by someone. Weird, right? So I guess you have to always understand each word's meaning in a sentence to determine. – Shawn Feb 18 '16 at 3:17
  • becomes an object being "swam" is weird too. What does it mean? The swimming pool? Anyway, to conclude your opinion, it depends on context, no rules here. – songyuanyao Feb 18 '16 at 3:27

When a verb has an object, the verb has to be repeated before a time/frequency complement. In this case, this would result in

我見過你見過三次。

Another way to handle objects and complements is to prepone the object:

你人我見過三次。

In 我游了三次泳, the word 游泳 is a loose verb-object pair that should be viewed as just a verb. The 泳 is difficult to explain as an object in many grammatical constructions.

• Not true. You should just say 我見過你三次. See my answer below. – Shawn Feb 18 '16 at 1:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.