How would you say 治安不好 in English?

Someone told me it means "not safe", but I am not sure about it. It seems too broad. 治安 is the safety level of a place specifically relating to crimes, but being not safe may refer to avalanche or smog.

cf。jukuu: 5 examples for 治安不好: 1,2: poor public order,3,4: public security (order ?) is poor,looking up "law and order" jukuu has 2 examples among first 10 with 治安 translated as such: 1.The army was called in to restore law and order to the place. 军队被召来恢复该地治安。3. The police are responsible for the preservation of law and order. 警察负责维持治安。
    – user6065
    Feb 25 '16 at 0:24

This is a comment about law and order/public safety. So, e.g. it could translate as "Public safety is bad."

• Is it a common usage?
    – Superuser
    Feb 24 '16 at 23:52
  • I mean is it a big word used by politicians in speech or it can be a colloquial word in daily life? Thank you very much!
    – Superuser
    Feb 24 '16 at 23:59
  • @Superuser Do you mean the English word "public safety"?
    – imrek
    Feb 25 '16 at 8:53
  • @ Drunken Master Yes. Is public safety a big word?
    – Superuser
    Feb 26 '16 at 7:20
  • It's an ordinary word, not formal, not colloquial, nothing special about it. Check any dictionary.
    – imrek
    Feb 26 '16 at 8:39

I guess "high-crime" makes more sense.

治安不好的小区

high-crime neighborhood

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.