I'm looking for the right word to use in the situation where you are looking after a child and they wander off. In English I would say "I lost my child!"

Is 丢 the proper word? Google wants to say "我失去了我的孩子", but my dictionary indicates that 失去 means more like bereavement. Zhongwen.com has "迷路" for 'to be lost' but I think that is what the child would say.

"失去 means more like bereavement" True. "'迷路' for 'to be lost' but I think that is what the child would say" True. "Can 丢 refer to people?" Yes. – Stan Mar 11 '16 at 1:51
    Note that while 丢 can be used for people the way you describe, 丢人 is a fixed negative expression that means "to make a spectacle of oneself". – KWeiss Mar 12 '16 at 10:04
up vote 4 down vote accepted

KEY

6 {colloquial} (of a person, child, etc. that went missing) have disappeared, gotten lost

ex.:

• 我们的孩子丢了

• 发现孩子丢了,第一时间并不是去报警

• 公安刑侦局打拐办主任:孩子丢了要立刻报警

• 梦见孩子丢了,是什么意思?

• Great, thank you! The examples are helpful. – Ajean Mar 11 '16 at 2:56

you can use 丢 for money ,books, key,clothes,animals and so on,use 失去for chance,good future,sb's love,dream,and other abstract things

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.