What is the difference in writing strength as 力 or 力量 ?

I have seen it both ways and am not sure of the difference.

力量 for "power,force,strength" by itself, 力 used in compounds cf. e。g。小马词典 :能力 néng lì capability; capable; able; ability; CL:个 压力 yā lì pressure 努力 nǔ lì great effort; to strive; to try hard 势力 shì li power; (ability to) influence 有力 etc。 – user6065 Mar 20 '16 at 23:23
  • So i guess i should have added this but would it be correct to have a tattoo with just 力 for strength ? – Xnub Mar 21 '16 at 5:42
  • why not? "力" still can mean "strength", even though in written or spoken text it occurs as a bound morpheme – user6065 Mar 21 '16 at 6:18
  • 力气 if you refer to human strength. 力量 is more technical. As for tattoos, I have seen 女力 representing feminism and female power. – user4452 Mar 21 '16 at 20:45
  • 团结就是力量 tuán jié jiù shì lì liang Unity is strength (revolutionary slogan and popular song of 1943) – user6065 Mar 21 '16 at 21:42

I want to say sometimes Chinese choose different words for rhythm. you can say 很有力量, not 很有力 you can say 大力出奇迹(this sentence used during pool games)

They just sounds good~

• supporting preceding answer, at jukuu find examples with "(议论、论据、话、劝说、前额和嘴巴、等等)很有力" also 很有力 used attributively:。。。是很有力的工具、很有力的反驳、很有力的侧翼、 – user6065 Mar 21 '16 at 12:11

We say 电力 electric power instead of 电的力量; 马力, horsepower, instead of 马的力量,魄力,guts instead of 魂魄的力量,etc.

We say 有力的反击,effective strike back, instead of 有力量的反击。大力的支持,fully support, instead of 大力量的支持,etc.

we use 力量 as a separate word, e.g, 我们的力量, our strength, 团结的力量, unity,s strengths , 集体的力量,groups power, we don't say 我们的力 or 团结的力。

There is an idiom, 群策群力,power of team work. There is a phrase, 团队的力量, power of team work.

From the above, I will say 力 and 力量 mean merely same, the difference is 力 mostly used as part of a phrase while 力量 is used as a separate word.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.