I want to describe a puppet show we saw. It was in a theatre and performed by professional puppeteers. I found three terms for puppet: 人形, 木偶, and 傀儡. I couldn't find anything for puppeteer.

Here's my wild guess at saying, "We saw a puppet show. The puppeteers were from Taiwan."


  • Yes, there doesn't seem to be a word for putteteer. Before I've seen people use 操纵木偶的人.
    – BertR
    Jun 7 '12 at 5:30

A "puppet show" can be called 木偶戏, 木偶剧, 傀儡戲、人偶戲、or 人偶劇 .

You can refer specifically to a puppeteer as 操纵木偶者 or simply (遮蔽)操纵者. But to refer to puppeteers in general, I feel that 操纵木偶的艺人(们) would be more appropriate.

So for your phrase, one way of saying it would be 我们去看了一个木偶戏/剧。操纵木偶的艺人们是从台湾来的。

  • Thanks, my teacher was really impressed with the vocabulary when I gave my presentation, so I confessed that I had help.
    – Don Kirkby
    Jun 11 '12 at 5:35

Perhaps 操偶師 ?

It literally means "the master who controls the puppet."

  • Doesn't seem to be used in mainland China. Jun 10 '12 at 23:21
  • @JamesJiao Actually it's okay, but most used in formal occasion or in writting.
    – Shou Ya
    Jun 11 '12 at 3:58
  • Thanks for the suggestion, and welcome to the Chinese Language Stack Exchange site.
    – Don Kirkby
    Jun 11 '12 at 5:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.