I know little about Cantonese (for now), but please advise me if I erred in conjecturing that IPA is more precise and helpful than Yale or Jyutping Romanisations.

You might try the 漢語多功能字庫, with traditional Chinese, English interface.

On the top right corner, you can choose the scheme: IPA (number) & IPA(letter).

Have fun. :)

• Thanks. Sorry, but I cannot see the IPA transcription even after selecting these options? eg: Where's the IPA on humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/lexi-mf/…? – Greek - Area 51 Proposal Apr 27 '16 at 17:28
  • when you do a search, in the result page, choose the scheme from top right corner, you should get the "Canton. Syllables", above the sound file, in the middle of the page :) – 水巷孑蠻 Apr 27 '16 at 17:34

The English Wiktionary has IPA for Cantonese along with other commonly-used romanization schemes (Jyutping, Yale and Cantonese Pinyin). For example, for the entry on 朋友, under "Pronunciation" in the Chinese section, you can click [Expand] to see the IPA /pʰɐŋ²¹ jɐu̯¹³/. There's also IPA for other topolects, like Mandarin (/pʰɤŋ³⁵ i̯oʊ̯³/ → /pʰɤŋ³⁵ i̯oʊ̯³/). (Note: There may be a bug with the audio that covers the IPA.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.