Reading the sentence below out loud felt extremely awkward, however I can't figure which part is improperly constructed to begin fixing the sentence.

The way I want to express the following idea in English is: "To [Chinese parents], there's no any other thing that's more settling than to see their children grow up and form families. ".

相比看到子女长大成家,没有其他可以更让他们感觉放心的了。

Thank you for your time.

对中国父母来说,没有什么事比看到子女们长大成家更让人安心的了。 – songyuanyao May 7 '16 at 7:23

consider: 沒有比兒女長大成家,更讓父母安心。

have fun :)

• Aww some of the things are lost here from the intended idea. But I think I know where the fault point is. Thanks for the help! – soyfroggy May 7 '16 at 7:36
  • the chinese language is "fuzzy", it you list everything in details, the sentence would be awkward; that's why my suggestion missed some of your intended idea. – 水巷孑蠻 May 7 '16 at 7:46
  • @ 水巷孑蠻, I don't think this is sentence is correct. – wolfrevo May 10 '16 at 16:01
  • it's not a sentence :) 水巷 is, well, you need to decipher; hints: it's the second character of a city. 蠻, is barbarian of the south :) 孑, ok, this character, let me ask you now, what do you perceive? – 水巷孑蠻 May 10 '16 at 16:28

The Chinese like to use phrases, and in fact, many sentences in Chinese are formed by a sequence of phrases to give you the meaning without considering much about the stuff like "is, are, have, has" in English.

Thus, the proper use of phrases are very important.

In your sentence, there is no a conventional saying "长大成家", which make the whole sentence sound strange.

In the original English sentence, there are two phrases:"grow up and form families", and I would recommend translating them separately to "长大成人和成家立业".

Hope it helps you :)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.