In the audio course Pimsleur Mandarin III an expression is taught which you can say when giving someone a gift. The expression itself is unclear to me, which one of these is it?

• yī diǎnr shǎo yì sī
  • yī diǎnr xiǎo yì sī
  • or something else?

Searching online I couldn't find any reference/usage of this expression. Is it a common expression to use?

• 小意思 means a "small token" (of gratitude, etc.) Normally, you don't need to put a whole sentence around it. When you hand over a gift or someone makes a compliment about a gift you offered, you can use this expression to "downplay" the value, it conveys the notion of politeness. – Drunken Master May 29 '16 at 10:49

The character before 意思 should be 小. Notice that 小 has a connotation of size that 少 lacks; 少 is an indication of quantity. Moreover, 小意思 readily appears in dictionaries; 少意思 does not.

Otherwise, the overall construction (一点儿小意思) makes sense to me, and does appear in some online results. For example, Zdic.net gives:

这是俺们家乡特产,你一定要收下,只是一点小意思

There is no 儿 affixed to the 点, but to the best of my knowledge, this discrepancy is not important.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.