How would the following sentence come across as a part of a thank you letter to a family receiving you as a guest in their home in Taiwan? The letter is to be sent before arriving as a "thank you in advance" gesture.

謝謝你們接待我當你們的家庭成員

an approach that's formal, more "literary chinese":

對府上之款待﹒先行拜謝

"先行拜謝" is, roughly "thank you in advance"

"府上" is the honourable term of "your home", you may change it to "貴府", "貴寓", or "尊府

http://dict.revised.moe.edu.tw/cgi-bin/cbdic/gsweb.cgi?o=dcbdic&searchid=Z00000038602

"款待" is, roughly "reception"

http://dict.revised.moe.edu.tw/cgi-bin/cbdic/gsweb.cgi?o=dcbdic&searchid=Z00000078380

| improve this answer | |
  • The literary version seems much better suited to the situation. Would it be advisable, when writing the letter, to use the traditional orientation (i.e. Top to bottom, right to left)? – Neverclear May 30 '16 at 4:37
  • sure, if you can. btw, you mean real writing by hand, or type and print it? – 水巷孑蠻 May 30 '16 at 4:45
  • Yes, real writing by hand... It's actually the strongest aspect of my Chinese language skills. A fellow student saw one of my character practice sheets and remarked, "Wow, those look just like the ones in the book." I was pleased with myself... until the teacher asked me to speak, that is. – Neverclear May 30 '16 at 5:17
  • great, remember to write in traditional chinese, it's a must, for your situation. btw, there're "canned" openings & endings in letter; need any guides? – 水巷孑蠻 May 30 '16 at 5:29
    for "canned" openings & endings, google "尺牘用語". download this dictionary, read p726-p768; grasp the ideas, have fun :) archive.org/details/englishchinesedi00kwon – 水巷孑蠻 May 30 '16 at 6:31

ALso another way to express your gratitude as an house guest you can say: 叔叔和阿姨,谢谢让我留在您们的家。

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.