Heard pronunciation ㄍ丨(romanization: gi) recently in a dialect of south western mandarin.

I was trying to trace it together with something else.

Seems like Hakka pronounces 机/機 ㄍ丨but I couldn't really see much else.

What Chinese language(s) have pronunciation ㄍ丨(romanization: gi)?

• According to (wikipedia)[zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%B1%89%E8%AF%AD%E6%97%8F], At leaset some variants of 吴语, 赣语, and 客家语 uses gi as a third person singular pronoun. – Wang Dingwei May 30 '16 at 5:53
  • Wiki does say of MSM: there is neither *[ki] nor *[kɨ] – Mou某 May 31 '16 at 3:52
  • What is ㄍ here? Certainly not the ㄍ in 注音符號, for there it doesn't pronounce as gi. – joehua Feb 22 at 5:54

Yes, 机 is pronounced gi(pin yin) in Hakka. But not all "Ji" pronunciations have the same reflection. e.g. 鸡 is pronounced gie(pin yin) in Hakka, not gi.

Other examples I remember for now: 几,吉,记,季,寄,继,计,贵, etc. Of course, they have different tones.

• I think / / represents IPA so it should be written /ki/ not /gi/ – Mou某 May 31 '16 at 3:53
  • @user3306356 thanks for your correction. – thinwa Nov 1 '17 at 2:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.