Is the Cantonese diminutive (粒) as in 鸡粒炒饭 the same as the Mandarin (子)? Is that the right character to use?

UPDATE: Sorry for the mistake, I really did mean 粒, not 里.

Doesn't actually 里 come from 裡肌 or 里肌 ([tender]loin, or other section of animal meat)? Because 鸡里脊 is 'chicken fillet', and if you search for images, that's what it looks like. – Drunken Master Jun 1 '16 at 11:17
    I am a Cantonese native speaker and I haven't been acknowledged that 里 is diminutive! It should be 雞粒炒飯 – 超酷爆帅型男 Jun 2 '16 at 5:43
    Basically 粒 = 丁 – user3306356 Jun 3 '16 at 0:20
    According to Babelcarp the 丁 in 苦丁茶 means manly like 男丁、壮丁. I'm not sure where they got that from, or if it's correct or not. jk.hecha.cn/info/7/show_23391.html gives this explanation: 苦丁茶是什么?苦丁茶(Ilex kudingcha C. J. Tseng)又叫万承茶、一叶青等,顾名思义,“苦”就是指其味甘苦,“丁”就是“一丁点”的意思,苦丁茶的意思就是“有一点苦的茶”。Which makes sense too, especially since the tea is Sichuanese and “丁”就是“一丁点”的意思 makes perfect sense in Sichuanese. In which case 丁点的丁 and 肉丁 could very well be the same! This is all speculation though. – user3306356 Jun 3 '16 at 10:41
    Strictly speaking, 雞丁 is bigger than 雞粒 in size ..... but people tends not to distinguish them anymore. – Henry HO Jun 11 '16 at 6:56

No.

“鸡粒” is common Chinese, means "diced chicken", “粒” means diced small cubes of meat.

“鸡子” is Cantonese, means the kidney, a viscera of chicken.

Actually different things. But “鸡粒”, “鸡籽”, and “鸡子” may all mean the egg of chicken in loosely.

雞子 means chicken testicles :P – Henry HO Jun 11 '16 at 7:00
  • We have 「雞粒」in Cantonese for quite a long time. – KH.Lee Jun 11 '16 at 8:09
  • I see, I'd say it's common Chinese, not Cantonese unique. – a_a Jun 11 '16 at 12:51
  • @HenryHO Well~ That's it... I think I know the difference... – a_a Jun 11 '16 at 12:55

the meanings of those two are the same in the only single word,but we'd like to use the specific one in some established by usage phrases.

We're looking for long answers that provide some explanation and context. Don't just give a one-line answer; explain why your answer is right, ideally with citations. Answers that don't include explanations may be removed.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.