My fried wrote 智渊别伤心爱兰可以帮你。 我们一起学习吧 to me. What does this mean?? I'm so curious. I tried google it but gave me

This weird answer. (Btw, his Chinese skills are not that advanced, so he might have used the google translator to translate this. If you think so, could you guess what it means??)

Oh and there's sth that I noticed, a dot in English typing is '.' While in Chinese, its 。is there a difference between these two??

智渊 and 爱兰 seem to be someone's name, if no more context given. Google translation is good except these two names. – halfelf Jun 21 '16 at 4:32
  • How are the names pronounced?? – Danny Han Jun 21 '16 at 4:32
  • Oh and I thought 爱 meant sth like love – Danny Han Jun 21 '16 at 4:33
  • usual free online pinyin editor has . for Ascii, 。for Chinese – user6065 Jun 21 '16 at 5:49
    Please don't ask multiple questions at once – congusbongus Jun 21 '16 at 7:06

Let's break this into parts and examine the meaning of each piece:

智渊 (pinyin: zhi-4 yuan-1)  [name] 
别   (bie-2)                 don't
伤心 (shang-1 xin-1)         be sad (be depressed, be upset, etc.)
爱兰 (ai-4 lan-2)            [name]
可以 (ke-3 yi-3)             can
帮   (bang-1)                help
你。 (ni-3)                  you.
我们 (wo-3 men)              we
一起 (yi-4 qi-3)             together
学习 (xue-2 xi-2)            study
吧   (ba)                    [ending exclamation]

Roughly translated, this means Zhi-yuan, don't be upset! Ai-lan can help you. Let's study together!

Based on this sentence, we can also guess some context: it is not uncommon in Chinese to reference oneself in the third person. I rewrite the translation to help you understand: Zhi-yuan, don't be upset! I [Ai-lan] can help you. Let's study together!

Let me try to guess some context. This sentence is probably related to school. You may have recently received some scores or grades, and you may not have done too well, so the speaker assumes/imagines that you are disappointed, and he is comforting you and offering help. If I am way off, you may laugh at me.

Amusing how much information one can infer from one sentence.

P.S. Regarding your concern that 爱 means love: you are right--typically used, it means love. However, when used in a name, it is literally part of the name. The word's meaning may give meaning/significance to the name, but it is essentially just the name. In the same way English has names such as Grace, Valentine, and Lily, Chinese has names made of common words that make certain names beautiful--and other names awkward...

P.P.S. Since Chinese is such a tremendously different language than English, and since its history is largely independent of English, it should not be too strange that the punctuation is different. In general, it it best that you use Chinese full-width punctuation (。,) when writing in Chinese and Latin half-width punctuation (.,) when writing in Latin-related languages.

• Oh and I'm pretty sure that your guess is true because he goes to school – Danny Han Jun 21 '16 at 10:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.