I am translating a text about a man who got divorced and after many days of desperation, he eventually starts accepting his situation and so he totally changes himself and starts a new life and a new way of being. This is described as "the Phoenix process", a rebirth, and he came to be a "new born" and a new man. How can I say all those things in few Chinese words? I thought about 重生 but I am not sure about its use. I was also wondering if there is a chengyu that can better explain it.

涅槃 (nirvana) ought to be out of reincarnation, no more death - rebirth cycles :) Jul 10, 2016 at 11:56
  • @水巷孑蠻 Thanks for correcting me! (OMG I've got it wrong for so many years...)
    – Stan
    Jul 10, 2016 at 18:22
  • @水巷孑蠻 It seems I'm not the only one who gets it wrong, Guo Moruo must have misled many (See 凤凰涅槃).
    – Stan
    Jul 10, 2016 at 18:34
  • common saying: 脱胎换骨 ("汉语熟语小词典":本来是道教用语。指修道要脱去凡胎,换掉凡骨。现多比喻改变认识或重新做人。[例]从欧洲访问回来后,他有一种 脱胎换骨 的感觉,感叹自己以前知道得太少了。
    – user6065
    Oct 5, 2016 at 2:14

2 Answers 2

重新振作

enter image description here

换了个人

![enter image description here

走出阴影↓

获得新生

重生一般

脱胎换骨(chengyu)

![enter image description here

浴火重生 (chengyu)

凤凰涅磐 (chengyu)

羽化登仙(metamorphosis from human being to heavenly being)

In Chinese, we even have a six-word phrase "鳳凰 (phoenix) 浴火 (bath in fire) 重生 (to reborn)", to refer to the mythology about phoenixes' reborn. "重生" means reborn, where 重 means "again" and 生 means "birth", so it can be used as a phrasal verb or a noun. 浴火重生 is also used frequently enough to be considered as something like an idiom/chengyu (although it doesn't have the long history like a chengyu).

Since you are translating, I recommend that you keep the original reference to the phoenix process. However, for future readers, if you are looking for another idiom that has a similar meaning, there is an old poem by 陸游, which can be used in a similar context: "山窮水盡疑無路,柳暗花明又一村", although it only implies the meaning of getting hope in the most (mentally) hopeless condition, but not literally (physically) the meaning of death/actual defeat.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.