Can someone help me understand why 是 is in this sentence?

这件事情到底是解决了

I can't figure out what role it plays, and I think I usually see such a sentence without it. Does it form the passive or something? Thanks!

• 到底=>eventually; 是=>is/was, 解决了=>resolved – Henry HO Jul 12 '16 at 10:09
  • I feel that the origin should be 这件事情到底(還是)解决了, which you might have an easier time to understand 是's role, yet what you had there is more commonly seen in modern Chinese. – Alex Aug 11 '16 at 16:16

Simply put, it's for emphasis. In English you might say "has in fact been resolved".

I feel that it is a placeholder to fill up the sentence so that 到底 and 解決 won't stick together.

It is also a hybrid between "到底解決了" (which sounds slightly weird) and "到底還是解決了".

Another function would be to emphasize the fact that it is resolved, just like adding an unnecessary "do" before some sentences to emphasize the positive stance, such as "I do want you to resolve it now" rather than "I want you to resolve it now" (sorry, not a very good English example).

• I think this idea that it prevents 到底 and 解決 from being stuck together is interesting, because if I hear "這件事情到底解决了" I half expect a "沒有" to follow as a question: "Did this matter ever get resolved or not?" – Brian Tung Aug 17 '16 at 0:15

Simply saying, '是' is equvalent to "is", '了' is often used in perfect (or past) tenses. so, it means "is(是) eventually resolved(解决了)",if one sentence ends with "了",it often tends to describe a state of thing.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.