I'm wondering if things (in general) are ever dialect checked?

哈尔滨啤酒 has a commercial where they go around singing the name 哈啤 over and over again but it sounds a lot like SB in Southwestern Mandarin. (They really should have checked that.)

I'm wondering if these public things (billboards, commercials, posters, etc.) are ever checked to make sure it doesn't have any dialectical problems?

• Tones are different, I presume? As long as tones are different, it really doesn't matter. 沙壁 is a legit word, right? – user4452 Aug 3 '16 at 10:04
  • Yeah, but singing... – user3306356 Aug 3 '16 at 10:47
  • 之前一直在电视广告上看见“一起哈啤”的广告,觉得非常不错!“哈啤”=“happy”,很棒!可是今天突然在成都大街上看见这个广告语,越看越不对!在四川,真心不应该放这个广告语!因为四川话中“hapi”是骂人的…[汗][汗][汗]“哈啤=hapi=哈批”,意思为“莽舅子,傻儿,瓜货,傻屌”@哈尔滨啤酒 – user3306356 Aug 3 '16 at 11:41
  • A lot of words sound alike in Chinese, especially across dialects, and especially if you neglect tone. And on the other hand, I see this ad campaign is looking for a funky feeling. How do native speakers respond to it, as far as you know? @倪阔乐 are you a native speaker? – Colin McLarty Aug 3 '16 at 11:42
  • @ColinMcLarty I saw you're deleted comment and posted something I found online talking about it – user3306356 Aug 3 '16 at 11:43

No. Once your sentence exceeds seven words, it is guaranteed that you will offend a man in the street or a women on the roof. So we just give it up.

Like the homophones in the same dialect aren't enough to deal with...

But if you are to do business in Sichuan (or anywhere actually) it's your own lookout.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.