I know the rough difference between a 成语 (4-character proverb)and a 俗语 (8-character or so saying), but what is a 谚语, and how does it differ from these?

I am also interested in 熟语。 How does this differ from these three?

• You might mean 成语? – songyuanyao Aug 18 '16 at 15:51
  • I have updated my post to take a fourth word into account. Can you please explain? – Jack Maddington Aug 22 '16 at 20:56
up vote 3 down vote accepted

成語 and 諺語 are well established common expressions , well known by the whole population. 俗語 is more often, limited to regional use.

• 成語 mostly refer to Chinese idiom.
  • 諺語 can be from different countries.
  • Chinese 成語 are uniformly four characters phrases.
  • For 俗語 and 諺語, number of character are flexible, some come in two parts.

Examples:

俗語 : "有便宜唔好使頸" (Cantonese) : "If there's benefit to be have, don't be stubborn."

諺語: "神要毀滅某人,必先使其瘋狂" (western): " "Those whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad."

• 諺語 (proverb) include "common sense" and "words of wisdom". from known or unknown origins.
  • 俗語 (folk saying) include "situation description", "common sense" and "words of wisdom".
  • 成語 (idiom) include "situation description" , "common sense", and "words of wisdom". Mostly came from known historical references, like poems, classical literature or famous quotes by historic figures .

Edit:

熟语 (Well known phrases) include:

惯用语(common phrase), usually contain three characters, for example: "打秋風","拍馬屁" , 成語, 諺語, 俗語, 歇后语(two-part allegorical saying), for example: "和尚打傘,無法無天" and 格言(motto), usually from famous people, for example: "We have nothing to fear but fear itself." by Franklin D. Roosevelt.

• Thank you for your descriptive answer. I would be happy to invite your post, if you could do me the favor of including your description of 熟语. This is from the front of a book. – Jack Maddington Aug 22 '16 at 21:00
  • "front of a book"? cover/封面? title page/书名页/扉页? There exists "汉语熟语小词典"containing 成语、惯用语 and 歇后语 bkrs:[a two-part allegorical saying; sequel]通常只说前一部分, 后一部分不言而喻 e。g。十五个吊桶(打水)──七上八下 – user6065 Aug 22 '16 at 22:43
  • famous example of 谚语:闰七不闰八,闰八过刀杀 (see web) mentioned in 《饥饿的女儿》,作者:虹影 author writes 我正是能随口念叨这些谚语的孩子中的一个 – user6065 Aug 24 '16 at 15:12
  • 格言 bkrs:(含有教育意义的成语) maxim; motto; aphorism; an established maxim:e。g。“规范的调查是犯罪学的道德基础。”"Uniform codes of investigation are the moral foundation of criminology." baiyun.net/detective/wccs07.html – user6065 Aug 29 '16 at 20:03
  • 语录 quotation,e。g。 毛主席语录 e。g。教育必须为无产阶级政治服务,必须同生产劳动相结合。为什么语言要学,并且要用很大的气力去学呢?因为语言这东西,不是随便可以学好的,非下苦动不可。 – user6065 Aug 29 '16 at 20:40

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.