I thought that 下去 was generally used in a V+下去 format. For example: 活下去

But I'm seeing it used before a verb in this sentence? "父亲接下去说:..." And in this sentence: "你这样下去会累垮的。”

Why am I so confused? Help. Please.

p.s. I just realized I may actually be confused by 接 in this sentence... Possibly could someone explain it to me? :/

• for use after verbs see grammars on (compound) directional complements (e.g. 接下去), for 下去 as independent verb see dictionaries, e.g. bkrs:I [go down; descend] 由高处到低处 月亮下去了 – user6065 Sep 12 '16 at 1:38

have a look of the 國語辭典, "下去" has 4 meanings:

http://dict.revised.moe.edu.tw/cgi-bin/cbdic/gsweb.cgi?o=dcbdic&searchid=Z00000105631

1 自上而下 - from top to bottom

2 用在動詞後﹒強調由上向下之意 - used after a verb, emphasise the action from top to bottom

3 用在動詞後﹒表示事情繼續進行 - used after a verb, showing the continuous state of the action

4 用在形容詞後﹒表示程度漸漸增加 - used after adjective, indicate the degree is increasing

in the example, "接下去说" is equal to "接著说", #3

then, "你這樣下去會累垮的" is also #3

The other answer already explained the different usages of 「下去」, I would look into the logic behind it, and illustrate it with some examples.

「下去」is basically [下- down / downward (adverb) + 去 (directional particle)] structure that modify a verb before it.

Example:

• 踢下去 kick down
  • 咬下去 bite down
  • 劈下去 hack down

In the three examples above, the role of 「下去 」is simple - it indicates which direction the verb apply to (*downward)

The other use of "V+下去" indicate continuation of an action 「下去」= ( down the order/ continue next)

Example:

• 讀下去 (keep on reading)
  • 唱下去 (keep on singing)
  • 想下去 (keep on thinking)

It functions like "繼續+V"

• 繼續讀(keep on reading)
  • 繼續唱(keep on singing)
  • 繼續想(keep on thinking)

p.s. I just realized I may actually be confused by 接 in this sentence... Possibly could someone explain it to me? :/

接 here is a verb "to continue"

"父亲**接 下去 *说:.."

"my father **continued, *and said:..."

• "and" in English also indicates "down the order in time line". For example:" catch and release" = "catch first then release right after"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.