My question is regarding the following sentence.

第一印象一般很难改变。

I can currently not figure out why based on the grammar 一般 is placed at the position it is in the sentence above.

Could anybody shortly explain with grammar why it is located there and for example not at the beginning of the sentence (sounds logical to me).

• Yes it's also fine to place 一般 at the beginning. The meaning is the same, the difference is 第一印象 is emphasized if it's placed at the front. – songyuanyao Sep 13 '16 at 14:09
    Adverbs usually are placed before verbs. – Enrico Brasil Sep 13 '16 at 14:35
  • Before you ask this question, you should think first the difference between the following two sentences. "Generally, the first impression is hard to be changed", "The first impression in general is hard to be changed" – 超酷爆帅型男 Sep 13 '16 at 15:14

In typical [ topic + opinion/ comment] structure:

• 「第一印象」(the first impression) is the topic
  • 「一般(是)很難改變(的)」( generally, is hard to be changed) is the opinion/ comment.

If you write 「一般, 第一印象(是)很難改變(的), the adverb (一般) that should be followed by the verb (是) is now followed by a noun (第一印象) instead, and it is grammatically incorrect.

*see comment from Enrico Brasil on your post:

Adverbs usually are placed before verbs.

The sentence has to be changed to 「一般(來說), 第一印象(是)很難改變(的)」

一般來說 = generally (adv) speaking (v)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.