What phrase is said at the beginning of this music video? There are no subtitles https://youtu.be/RpG7FzXrNSs?t=41s and here https://youtu.be/RpG7FzXrNSs?t=49s

It sounds like he says mi shong ying but I don't speak chinese.

The phrase has been identified as 明天的声音 which means "tomorrow's voice" I think. Not sure what it means by "tomorrow's voice."

• it might be 明天的声音,search web using this – user6065 Sep 16 '16 at 20:10
  • @user6065 what is that in english? – William Sep 16 '16 at 20:14
  • the phrase 明天的声音 is very simple, could use googletranslate, anyhow: tomorrow's voice, (information provided w/o warranty) – user6065 Sep 16 '16 at 20:15
  • @user6065 Thank that is what google translate said. Would that mean he wants to create a future for tomorrow or alternative have his people create a voice for tomorrow? – William Sep 16 '16 at 20:17
  • web search yields a lot of hits, with some English, e.g. kkbox.com/tw/tc/song/jM9005PIJ0X9WQiT9WQiT0XL-index.html – user6065 Sep 16 '16 at 20:22

He says 明天的声音 (Míngtiān de shēngyīn), which litterally means "the voice of tomorrow". I think it's a symbolic answer. The two mandarins ask to the emperor what he desires, wether the fire of the sun (太阳的火, tàiyáng de huǒ) or the ice of the stars (星星的冰, xīngxīng de bīng), and he answers "the voice of tomorrow" (明天的声音). I think it represents innovation: the emperor wants a new, dynamic kind of music.

• Thank you for the response! I plan to accept this as the right answer. Could this also be interpreted as the voice as tommorow for innovation and or technology? – William Sep 17 '16 at 1:43
  • @William Of course the phrase has something to do with innovation. The character 的, to be accurate, indicates an attributive relation. So "tomorrow" is a quality (almost like an adjective) refferring to the "voice". If we interpret "tomorrow" as "the future, the innovation", then the meaning is clear: "a new voice, a voice that has the freshness of the future". So, from a grammatical point of view, your translation is a little bit free, but the interpretation is definitely correct. – Tochtli Sep 17 '16 at 9:43
    @William IMO 'tomorrow' here implies 'new, unprecedented'. 'Innovation' is a little stretchy, and 'technology' is definitely not implied. – NS.X. Sep 17 '16 at 23:53
  • @NS.X. thank you quick question. Is the concept of an emperor sitting on a thrown like the video outdated? Today China has a president and he certainly isn't a kid when elected. Japan has an emperor which is closest to what is shown in the video I believe but obviously the video is in chinese. – William Sep 19 '16 at 0:58
  • @William It's more than outdated - it is ancient. The video is setting context in ancient China because they are speaking Mandarin. The young emperor is either bored and trying to spite the ministers, or a true music lover aiming a high, seemingly impossible goal, by demanding "the voice from the future" as his birthday performance. But as you knew, the presence of 30stm and this song fulfilled the emperor's order. – NS.X. Sep 19 '16 at 6:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.