What does "his laughter usually at his own expense" mean in Chinese? I use Google 翻譯, its answer is "他通常在自費的笑聲", which is very strange to me.

Note: It is my first time to ask question here. If my question is not appropriate or needs to be edited, please let me know. Thanks.

• google: word for word translation, which does not seem accurate, try jukuu ("laughter own expense"), one relevant example: 2. One reason was that he had a sense of humour and could take a joke at his own expense. 其中一个原因是他很有点幽默感,很能自我解嘲。 – user6065 Sep 22 '16 at 12:14
  • 自我解嘲 looks like a 成语,cf。bkrs: zì wǒ jiě cháo to refer to one's foibles or failings with self-deprecating humor zì wǒ jiě cháo 用言语或行动为自己掩盖或辩解被人嘲笑的事。 zì wǒ jiě cháo 自己帮自己找理由以掩饰过错。 如:「他讪讪的自我解嘲说:『这有什么大不了的,何必发那么大的脾气。』」 自己以言语或行动来掩盖、粉饰被人嘲笑的事情。 zì wǒ jiě cháo console oneself with soothing remarks; find excuses to console oneself; pat oneself on the back because one's feelings have been wounded (hurt); play sourgrape (sweet lemon) console oneself with soothing remarks; find excuses to console oneself zìwǒ jiěcháo find excuses to console oneself in a humorous manner; be self-mocking – user6065 Sep 22 '16 at 12:21
  • @user6065 Thank you for your comment. I have learned a lot. :-) – Wei-Cheng Liu Sep 23 '16 at 10:44
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because this seems to essentially be a question about understanding English from the perspective of a Chinese speaker. – user5714 Sep 24 '16 at 1:27

I think Original post meant, how do you translate, laughing at own expense.

An simple translation would be 笑自己 / 開(自己)玩笑

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.