Difference between 而, 但 and 和 contrasts 和 with two others, but doesn't mention 也.

"And" vs. "also" … ?

• 也:adverb/副词,和:preposition/介词, conjunction/连词
    – user6065
    Oct 7, 2016 at 19:21

2 Answers 2

也 means "also" whereas 和 means "and."  Adverb vs. conjunction.

So for example, to say "I am also a student" you could write

我也是学生。

But you cannot write

我和是学生。

Additionally, 也 cannot function as 和。To say "My friend and I are watching a movie" you could write

我和我的朋友在看电影。

But you cannot write

我也我的朋友在看电影。

Here are some links you might want to check out (both on ChineseGrammarWiki):

• So one ties an event/action/equation to a previous one, and the other puts nouns in pairs/groups. Thanks.
    – 伟思礼
    Oct 7, 2016 at 17:59
  • users note that answer was edited 1 hour ago to include the terms adverb and conjunction (和 also functions as preposition) suggested by comment 4 hrs ago
    – user6065
    Oct 7, 2016 at 23:42

I think 和 is more complicated than just 'and'. It shows a mouth 口 and 禾 a plant like rice. Its original meaning may have been something like 'in time of peace we have food to eat'. Its sense of 'and' may have evolved from 'peace - together - with - and'

If you look here you can see a lot of meanings: http://www.iciba.com/%E5%92%8C I think sometimes 和 and 跟 are interchangeable.

I hear '我也要‘ a lot 'I want some too'

I read 也 may be a picture of a wash basin, but I'm not convinced of that. Anyone have better info?

• If the pages ccless1 cited are correct, they are not interchangeable. I do not know how to interpret icier, but I find it hard to believe all those entries are meanings of 和
    – 伟思礼
    Oct 7, 2016 at 23:42
  • Have a look here then, oh ye of little faith! zdic.net/z/16/js/548C.htm
    – Gangosa
    Oct 8, 2016 at 4:49
  • I don't know how to interpret that either, and if I try to get a hint from Google Translate, it tells me either of those URIs translate to a completely blank page :-). My suspicion was that they showed examples of usage or meanings of combinations as opposed to the character as a one-syllable word. Are you saying the "Grammar Wiki" is wrong? (Being a Wiki, it certainly could be!)
    – 伟思礼
    Oct 8, 2016 at 14:58
  • I think it's like this: when you read Chinese, you will come across a 1 character word and you think,"What's that doing there?" So you ask someone and they say, "Oh, that means XX" a 2 character word. If you are Chinese, you know what is meant, so a lot of times bits are left out. Makes hard reading for us 外国! Does 和 or 和平 mean peace? Depends on who is writing! People who eat together are probably at peace with each other.
    – Gangosa
    Oct 9, 2016 at 1:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.