What percent of the Chinese speakers can read the Latin alphabet? Does someone has some official statistics?

closed as off-topic by NS.X., songyuanyao, Tang Ho, going Oct 23 '16 at 5:48

• This question does not appear to be about Chinese language within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• I don't think many people can read Latin alphabet, we don't learn it, we only learn Pinyin and English. We don't know how to pronounce some of them. – EmmaXL Oct 17 '16 at 23:07
  • @EmmaXL Both Pinyin and English utilize the Latin alphabet. – monalisa Oct 18 '16 at 0:01
  • @monalisa It doesn't mean they are the same. – EmmaXL Oct 18 '16 at 0:07
  • Judging by the tags, I suppose you mean to ask how many Chinese speakers are familiar with Pinyin romanization in particular? If so, it's not quite the same as asking how many "can read the Latin alphabet". – Corellian Oct 18 '16 at 8:56
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it's not about Chinese language. – NS.X. Oct 19 '16 at 1:41

English is one of three primary course to chinese student . u can total chinese pupolation and chinese educated population

http://www.moe.gov.cn/publicfiles/business/htmlfiles/moe/s7567/201309/156896.html

I haven't seen any official statistics surrounding this topic but generally speaking many younger Chinese speakers can read the Latin alphabet. This is primarily due to the use of pinyin in online communication in mainland China, though I have heard that other systems like zhuyin are popular elsewhere.

• Thanks, I will research in the future also about the zhuyin stuff. I have to vote the third guy that brought me the statistics, but I appreciate your answer! See ya around here... :D – Paul Egnahcxekcats Oct 19 '16 at 23:48

In mainland China, or People's Republic of China, English is a mandatory class for all primary school students. Since more than 90% of people have access to primary school, so I guess most of them know Latin alphabet well.

• Thank you... :) I have to vote the third guy that brought me the statistics, but I appreciate your answer! See ya around here... – Paul Egnahcxekcats Oct 19 '16 at 23:47

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.