Are there more specific terms than “適配器” which is the general word for “adapter”? What about “轉換器”?

various travel adapters

English speakers use a variety of terms to refer to these devices. Personally I find "travel adapter" pretty unambiguous and straightforward.

various travel adapters (image on Chinese internet)

  • I think what you are talking about maybe 插排 or 变压器,I am in China,and I can't see the pictures you put in the links.So I guess it.
    – Whhhhhhhhy
    Commented Oct 20, 2016 at 5:08
  • @Whhhhhhhhy: Link to similar image on Chinese internet. I think 变压器 might mean "transformer" and be used for devices that convert between 110 and 240 volts. Most travel adapters only convert the shape of the plug/socket since most modern devices accept either voltage and adapting voltage makes heavier and more expensive adapters. Commented Oct 20, 2016 at 5:30
  • @Whhhhhhhhy: 插排 seems to refer to what in English would be called a powerboard or powerstrip. For now I'm looking for the term that just converts a single outlet/plug but it's great to also know this term! Commented Oct 20, 2016 at 5:38
  • 1
    now I can see the picture,but I haven't use it before.
    – Whhhhhhhhy
    Commented Oct 20, 2016 at 6:09
  • It is called 插头转换器.
    – EXL
    Commented Oct 29, 2016 at 10:53

1 Answer 1


「转换插头」 just as printed on the picture you provided.

Or, less commonly, 「插座转换器」「电源插座转换器」, etc.

  • I looked at so many pictures trying to find a good one that I didn't even get around to trying to work out the characters (-: Commented Oct 20, 2016 at 5:49
  • This worked perfectly by the way. I thought I lost my adapter at a cafe. I asked them if they had it and they understood my first attempt and pulled it out of a drawer for me (-: Commented Oct 20, 2016 at 8:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.