I'd like to start tutoring Mandarin through software I am writing. What are US domestic curriculum standards that I can base my teachings off of, starting at the middle- high-school level?

Please provide links and an explanation for why you selected a particular one. I'm looking for a curriculum example, learning objectives, exercise samples, and evidence of learning examples.

For example, I'm thinking US AP (Advanced Placement) language curriculum would be a good starting point.

If not, should I be using China's HSK?

I'm thinking AP because I'd eventually like to bring on more languages into my software and AP offers many language choices.

• Any comments on this? – Growler Oct 27 '16 at 17:08
    I think it depends on who are your target customers. – EmmaXL Oct 29 '16 at 10:51
  • @emmaxl Ages 14 to 18 male and female students. – Growler Oct 29 '16 at 17:00
  • HSK is a graded set of exams, not a curriculum. HanBan provides vocabulary lists for each of the levels, but no information on required grammar etc. You might try sets of course books based on HSK, but I don't know how good they are. – user800 Dec 29 '16 at 21:20
  • Why limit yourself to domestic standards? Why not use international ones? The IB curriculum comes to mind. – Teacher KSHuang Feb 6 '17 at 12:05

I am not familiar with AP Chinese curriculum but I would recommend go by China's HSK.

Reasons:

1. HSK is designed for non-native speakers and is administered by an agency of Ministry of Education.

2. If you adapted the HSK, you might lower your cost of authorisation. Even though I don't have the actual number, you could tell from the exam fees.

3. HSK is harder than AP Chinese. It's not easy to get 'A' in HSK.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.