mdbg.net has for zhe 着: aspect particle indicating action in progress

That implies it corresponds with -ing. Many times however, I find 着 cannot be translated in this way.

What does 着 do? What difference does it make if it were not used?

From 父亲去世了

他光着脚,手指弯曲着,失去了往日的力量。
His leg bared, fingers bent, gone his former strength.
他的眼睛紧闭着,像两个黑洞。
His eyes tightly closed, like 2 black holes.
嘴巴张着,牙齿都露了。
Mouth open, teeth revealed.

I think 着 is not -ing , it is -ed is better . 闭着 :closed 闭: close 张着 :opened 张 :open . Add 着 to change a verb to a adj/adv. of course sometimes maybe -ing is right,eg:他一边在关着(closing)阀门,一边在看着(looking)压力表. – chsword Oct 26 '16 at 5:33
  • 着 is a heteronym in Chinese. What you ask is pronounced "zhe", and the explanation of it is 表示动作或状态在持续。I think you can translate it into-ing in some sentence, and sometimes you can translate it into still, such as 饭还热着。which in English :The food is still hot. – Whhhhhhhhy Oct 26 '16 at 6:26
  • see grammars, e.g. "外国人实用汉语语法"动作的持续(continuous aspect of an action)一,表示动作在持续的形式|汉语里要表示一个动作或动作结果的状态在持续,可在谓语词后边加动态助词"着(zhe)"。基本格式是:主语-谓语(动词)-"着"-(宾语)|例如:他眼睛闭着。("闭"的动作在持续)那个妇女抱着一个男孩子。("抱"的动作在持续)窗户开着,门关着。("开"和"关"的动作已经完成,但"开"和"关"的状态仍在持续)她穿着一件黄衬衫。("穿"的动作已经完成,"穿"的结果的状态仍在持续)to be distinguished from 动作的进行(progressive aspect of an action, search site) 一。表示动作正在进行的形式|汉语里,要表示一个动作正在进行,可以在谓语动词前边加副词"正"、"在"或"正在",句尾加上语气助词"呢"。基本格式是:1。主语-状语(副词"正"、"在"或"正在")-谓语(动词)-(宾语)-(呢) – user6065 Oct 26 '16 at 6:54
  • 例如:他们正开会(呢)。("开会"的动作正在进行)(开会 is going on)他们在休息(呢)("休息"正在进行)(休息 is going on)她们正在晒衣服(呢)。("晒衣服"的动作正在进行)(晒衣服 is going on))他们正在调查(呢)。("调查"正在进行)(调查 is going on))动作的持续和进行可以同时发生。(continuation and progression of an action may take place simultaneously)例如: 他正打着电话呢。她在织着毛衣呢。我们正在谈着话呢, regarding in particular examples in Q, see chinese.stackexchange.com/questions/17535/… – user6065 Oct 26 '16 at 6:54
  • 饭还热着。 is ambiguous, at least without context. It can also mean "The food is still warming up." in a microwave or somewhere. – Gangosa Oct 26 '16 at 23:54

着 is used to express that something is in the status of a verb, so it should not be progressive. For example "sitting" is 坐着.

Examples:

他光着脚,手指弯曲着,失去了往日的力量。 His leg bared(baring), fingers bent(bending), gone his former strength.

Counter-examples: 您做着什么? This one is invalid

The verb "do" is progressive(this action is changing), so 着 is not used here.

If I say 他坐着,this instance sounds incomplete. If I say 他正坐着, it sounds complete. This contrast indicates that 着 in Chinese is merely used to indicate a duration, without involving the tense relating to the now.

It's like a "to be participle". It's not actually "to be -ing".

Compare: 门开着。 The door is opened.
他在开门呢。 He is opening the door.

You can understand it as a -ing construction only if it follows another verb. In that case, it's like someone does something while doing something.

For example:
他开着门开灯了。 He turned the lights on while opening the door.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.