How do you say "immersion" as in "full immersion language program" or "I am moving to China so I can get some immersion in the language"?

Although in a 洗禮(baptism), a person may be immersed in water for a brief moment, but the purpose of baptism is mostly for symbolizing purification or regeneration. For example: 經過戰火的洗禮 (After the baptism of war). It is not a very good translation for "immersion" in this case.

沉浸 is the correct translation for "immersion"

"Full immersion language program" in Chinese should be 全浸式語言課程

Another suggestion :

單語環境學習課程 (single language environment study course)

I have only seen the direct translation of 'full immersion language program' once in an advertisement of a very specific English summer program, it is not a common word that you would go out and say to native speakers telling them that you want 語言洗禮 or 浸禮, because a lot of the time it would be interpreted as baptism. Tang Ho's answer '全浸式語言課程' is as close as it gets for a direct translation.

However I would suggest to use 'experience' 體驗 or 'train' 訓練 as an alternative for 'immerse'.

我想好好的體驗中國的文化和訓練我的中文,所以我會搬到中國去。

I would like to fully experience the Chinese culture and practice my language, therefore I am moving to China.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.