Does this mean "Anyway, you must be safe" or "Anyway, you are certainly safe"?

I think it is the former, but I am not sure.

无论如何 means "no matter what"

The verb 要 means "need to be" here in this sentence, because it is followed by an adjective 平安(safe).

一定平安 means " need to be safe for sure"

If the verb 要 is followed by a noun, for example 一定要一千美元, then 要 would simply mean "need" - "need $1000 for sure"

If the verb 要 is followed by another verb, then 要 would be a modal verb in the sentence, for example: "you need to kill him"

• Does this translate roughly to "No matter what, you definitely need to be safe"? – pbeta Nov 20 '16 at 5:57
  • Does this translate roughly to "No matter what, you definitely need to be safe" -- It is correct. – Tang Ho Nov 20 '16 at 6:02

无论如何,你一定要平安。
Whatever goes down, yo ass gotta stay in one piece. (US)
No matter how, you must stay safe. (UK)

I would put 你一定要 as you must, you gotta

• I like this answer because it's funny and it's true depending on who is interpreting it. – Huangism Nov 20 '16 at 17:02
  • A bit of fun is important! I am a big fan of Negro American, it is so refreshingly different to English. – Gangosa Nov 20 '16 at 23:45
  • Please be safe, no matter what. - to me, the original sentence sounds like what a girl would say to her boyfriend when he goes to a war. So this is how I would translate it. But English is not my first language, so I won't write an answer. – EmmaXL Nov 22 '16 at 0:25

Not an exact translation, but this is how we(or I) would say it in English: - No matter what (happens), be sure to stay safe.

Side note: "Be sure" would be more like 务必 (be sure to)

Also, props to the wicked street translation haha

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.