I recently found out that there is a phrase in 彝语 (Yi) which equates to:

杀只鸡,你死了我开心

I tried finding some references to this online, but to no avail.

If the original Yi phrase is available I would like to see it too.

"Slaughter a chicken as an offering to thanks gods" is a common expression in Chinese, meaning: "something to celebrate for; something to thanks gods for"

In Cantonese, it is 要劏雞還神

Example: 如果你死咗,我就要劏雞還神 ( if you died,I will have to celebrate / thanks the gods )

The wording differs from dialect to dialect. For example, 要劏雞還神 in Mandarin would be 要殺雞酬神 and in other dialects, including Yi, 屠 or 宰 may replace 劏 or 殺; other animal may replace chicken, but the basic premise would not be too far apart in writing.

• 广州话普通话词典 has 劏雞還神 defined as (粵) 殺雞以酬謝神的恩典, 含“謝天謝地”之意。 – user3306356 Dec 7 '16 at 14:57
  • off-topic: can we use 劏 in Cantonese like 宰 in Mandarin? i.e.; 宰了你!把你宰了! – user3306356 Dec 7 '16 at 15:01
    Yes, you can say 我要劏咗你 ( I'll slaughter you) instead of 我要殺咗你( I'll kill you) in Cantonese . Both 劏 and 宰 mean "slaughter "(mainly of animal) .Using the term slaughter imply you are regarding other guy as an animal. – Tang Ho Dec 7 '16 at 15:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.