How does one translate the following sentence into Mandarin?

"Why not Australia? It's so much better than America"

Can I use 好多了 to translate "so much better" ?

More context would improve the likelihood of an accurate answer. Why not what in Oz? Oz is better than what? – Gangosa Dec 11 '16 at 9:53

好多了 means " much better" Your sentence would be:

"Why not Australia? It's much better than America"

為什麼不是澳大利亞? 它比美國好多了

For " so much better" the translation would be "好太多了"

"Why not Australia? It's so much better than America"

為什麼不是澳大利亞? 它比美國好太多了

Another way to translate "so much better":

• 比美国好(better than America)
  • 比美国好得多(much better than America)
  • 比美国好得多 (so much better than America)

*It uses the final particle "了" to increase the emphasis. The 'so' in "so much better" functions the same way.

• I am not the downvoter, however I doubt the use of 好太多了 in Mandarin. It may be used but since 太 is more often used for negative mood, Chinese will tend to avoid using this to prevent misunderstanding. I think 好多了 is enough to express "so much better". – 超酷爆帅型男 Dec 17 '16 at 11:33
    If "Australia" is part of a suggestion, I would say "澳大利亚怎么样?比美国好得多得多。" – wks Dec 17 '16 at 15:16
  • 比美国好得多得多 is not grammatically correct. As for your suggestion, please see my edited answer. – Tang Ho Dec 17 '16 at 15:35

Without more detail I made up this little chat:

你毕业后要做什么?
我去美国找工作。
为什么选了美国?澳大利亚比美国更好。

Exactly how you say 'much better' will of course depend on the context.

There is nothing wrong with Tang Ho's answer, why the down vote?

• There is nothing wrong with Tang Ho's answer, why the down vote? - May be some people dislike the example sentence I made up suggested America is not the best in everything; may be some people dislike the fact that I didn't use simplified characters. – Tang Ho Dec 12 '16 at 4:00

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.