We were discussing this topic in the class yesterday and had a few difficulties understanding it. The main problem was to understand when the sentence / phrase is referred to a regular action or to the action in the past. Could this be figured out without additional time markers?

For example, from these sentences: 去北京的火车 or 妈妈做的菜

• Similar questions had been asked many times. Here is one of them: chinese.stackexchange.com/questions/22204/… To check if your question had been asked in the past, you can type key words in the search Q&A box on the upper right corner of the page.
    – Tang Ho
    Dec 20, 2016 at 13:12
    @TangHo Of course I searched for similar questions before posting mine. I didn't see the answer to my question in the link you provided.
    – UVV
    Dec 20, 2016 at 13:39

2 Answers 2

Modifying nouns with phrase + 的

A [phrase + 'adjective suffix 的'] is an 'adjective phrase'. It functions as an adjective for the noun. If there is a [clause +'adjective suffix 的'], then it is an 'adjective clause'

的 can also be a 'possessive' but that's another topic.

The main problem was to understand when the sentence / phrase is referred to a regular action or to the action in the past. Could this be figured out without additional time markers?

May be this can help: How do you specify past tense for 是?

So, the answer is, " no, you can't figure out the action is in the past or present without additional time markers, but you don't need to"

An explicit time marker is always required. There is no exception. But sometime it depends on the context, even without a time marker.

到达了北京的火车
The train that reached Beijing

这都是妈妈做的菜
All this food are cooked by mum.
    "An explicit time marker is always required." I assume you mean, if you want to specify the time (or aspect). Otherwise, an explicit time marker is not required for the phrase to be grammatical.
    – Brian Tung
    Dec 23, 2016 at 21:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.