I was in China for a week about a month ago. My brother photographed the menu pics of two dishes, namely 梨汤顿燕窝 and 棒打鸡丝拌拉皮. The first one I figured out to be Lítāng dùn yànwō, or swallow nests stewed in pear soup. The second one transliterates to bàng dǎ jī sī bàn lāpí, but I cannot make sense of it. Word by word it should be "stick hit chicken thread mix facelifts". So what does that mean? What is this dish?

I tried googling and saw this, which says 鸡丝拉皮, jīsī lāpí. I read through it and I understand how it is prepared and what it is, except for one thing: what is 干粉皮, gān fěn pí? And is this the same as 棒打鸡丝拌拉皮 or is there a difference in preparation, or perhaps it's something entirely different?

PS Any suggestions for tags are welcome :).

Think of 棒打(stick hit) as "stick tendered" (tender the chicken meat by hitting it repeatedly with a stick)

鸡丝 is shredded chicken

拌 is "mix / stir"

拉皮 is a wide noodle made of 木薯粉 (cassava powder)

棒打鸡丝拌拉皮 = stick tendered, shredded chicken, stir mixed with wide cassava noodle

picture of 拉皮: 拉皮

p.s: It should be 炖(stew)/dùn/, not 顿(pause)/dùn/ in 梨汤顿燕窝. They used a wrong character

| improve this answer | |
  • So far as I know, 拉皮 is a kind of food, as explained in the answer, popular in the northeast area. It can also mean facelift, a cosmetic surgery. The latter meaning is more familiar to Chinese, especially Chinese from south China. – Huang Dec 28 '16 at 23:16
  • @TangHo maybe I just didn't check that dùn character :). I typed "litangdunyanwo" and that's what my keyboard gave, maybe I noticed litang was wrong, but the "dun"s are similar so I didn't notice :). – MickG Dec 29 '16 at 19:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.