This is part of this set, where I also posted my update.

In the game of Yahtzee, the “Chance” is a pattern of dice that can be anything at all. If you can’t form a (still-needed) pattern or don’t want to use it because it scores too low, you can use the “Chance” blank for anything at all. It is used as a contingency when trying to form a risky pattern such as filling a split straight, and an out when you roll something that’s “haphazard” and doesn’t match any of the scoring patterns you need.

My wife, who is a native speaker, translates the label “Chance” directly as 机会. But using Google Translate as a thesaurus, I spotted 遇合 which shows meanings of “chance”, “haphazard”, “contingency”, and “accident”.

Is my choice really a good choice that gives the desired connotation that the player experiences? Is there something better?

• Listen to your wife, general rule "Your wife is always right". hahahaha. – Mindless Jan 10 '17 at 3:45

In 汉典, 遇合 is translated into "get along together".

It means that one happens to meet a person who knows one's ability.

And I guess many native Chinese don't know this phrase (遇合) very well.

Therefore, I think 机会 is better than 遇合.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.