I use wechat to talk with Chinese friends, and try to type Chinese to help me learn. I would like Chinese characters to appear colour coded according to tone.

How could I go about this? Assuming it's not possible with any current product, how could one build an app or similar to achieve this? My phone is an iPhone 7 but also interested in Android.

This is not possible with existing products. You'd need a special input method, like the Multiling Keyboard, that would specifically format the input. There are a few difficulties with this:

• Many hanzi have multiple tones. Which one to pick? To be (possibly, but never 100%) accurate, you'd need a dictionary. Which means the input method would have to backtrack when the tone of the first character changes tone.
  • WeChat doesn't allow colour formatting. So your new input method won't be able to colour the text anyway.

In WeChat's web interface, one might be able to develop a Chrome extension that reads all messages, and colours them. That wouldn't be that hard, but I expect it would be time consuming, and resource hungry.

EDIT

After giving it some thought, here is what I think would required:

• The CEDICT dictionary. Probably edited to fit a database.
  • Alternatively, if you only care about character tones, a database based on Unihan.
  • Some Javascript and jQuery to lookup the messages and color them.

Something like this [I am using Cantonese tones as I am much more comfortable with them]:

enter image description here

VERY COARSE CODE

var db={};
db["行"]=4;
db["有"]=5;
db["人"]=4;
db["嗎"]=3;

var myColors= new Array("nil", "#FF0000", "#00FF00", "#0000FF", "#FFFF00", "#00FFFF", "#FF00FF");

for (n in x) {
  myString="";
  if(x.hasOwnProperty(n)) {
    if(x[n].innerText!=undefined) {
      s=x[n].innerText;
      console.log(n, s);
      j=s.length;
      for(i=0; i<j; i++) {
        z=s.charAt(i);
        t=myColors[db[z]];
        console.log(" .",z, t);
        if(t!=undefined) {
          myString+="<span style='color: "+t+"'>"+z+"</span>";
        } else {
          myString+=z;
        }
      }
      x[n].innerHTML=myString;
    }
  }
}
  • Wow, thanks for the detailed answer. I wonder if it's possible to do anything similar on a phone at all (via some kind of dirty hack at some level), or perhaps if colours are impossible would there be a way to add tone markers in black and white? – Flash Jan 25 '17 at 11:02
  • A custom-made input method could definitely input tone marks (digits or others) when YOU type. However, doing what I did above, replacing previous messages, and messages by other people, with something else would be impossible. The other option would be to write from scratch a WeChat clone, compatible with WeChat. Good luck with that :-) – dda Jan 25 '17 at 14:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.