In class I remember my 老师 said there is a difference between 店 and 馆。 For example: 咖啡店 and 咖啡馆。In this context what is the difference?

There is difference between 店 and 馆. Actually, it is likely be the convention of Chinese expression.

茶馆: a place where you can drink tea.

茶店: a place where you can buy tea, usually called 茶叶店.

咖啡馆=咖啡店,旅馆=旅店,理发馆=理发店

but 饭馆≠饭店,酒馆≠酒店

enter image description here

enter image description here

I think your comment is right, although in my (admittedly) more colloquial Taiwanese-y Chinese, I would probably call it a 咖啡站 instead of a 咖啡館. However, a 店 is probably a store where you buy supplies related to the product.

(shop; store; commercial establishment) is undoubtedly a business

(1. public building for accommodation 2.public building for cultural activities 3.public building for certain services) may or may not be a business

Supplement to Tang Ho's answer: Note: Sometimes you can't tell the meaning of a word from a single character consisting that word. So the following explanation is applied to a character:

店:originally mean warehouse in ancient time, now expand to "place sell goods or service", for example: inn, shop, fair.

馆: Divided into two parts: left part is "餐", right part is "官". Guess it originally means an official place to provide meals and rest. Now it could be:

1. accommodation for guests

2. live, reside (verb. Classical Chinese)

3. hotel

4. house

5. collection e.g. 馆藏

6. restaurant e.g. 馆子

店: 1.商店,卖东西的铺子 杂货~|~铺|~员。

2.旅馆 住~|车马~|旅~。

馆: 1.供宾客、旅客居住的场所 宾~|旅~。

2.一个国家在另一个国家办理外交的人员办公的处所 大使~|领事~。

3.开展文化体育活动的场所 图书~|博物~|体育~|文化~。

4.某些服务行业店铺的名称 饭~|茶~|理发~|照相~。 The first translation of 店 sometimes has the same meaning of the last translation of 馆 and the second translation of 店 sometimes has the same translation of the first meaning of 馆。

i don't think there is a a difference. Technically, say 咖啡馆 is more oral, 咖啡店 is more literal.

• Could it be one is literally a store you purchase coffee and related products and one is where you sit and enjoy like a cafe? Like 茶馆 or 茶店? – Josh Wyss Feb 10 '17 at 16:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.