My book, among other expressions we should read out, lists 一個上年 without explanation. Now, I have heard 上年 as a variant of 去年,but I can't guess the meaning of 一個上年! I can't imagine when you would want to use this, since "last year" is unambiguous. There are no choices.

Most likely, here was a typo of in your book.

一個上午 (a morning) make sense; 一個上年(a last year ) doesn't make sense.

• 'A year' can be any unspecific year

• 'Last year' is a specific year in the context of the speech.

• The phrase '一個上年' (a last year) contradicts itself.

Another explanation for '一個上年' to exist could be: '年' here doesn't mean 'last year', but 'good year'( 上 as in 上等 - high quality). That is also unlikely, because '一個年'is much more common way to describe a 'good year'

If 一個上年 was not a typo, then it can only mean '上年'(last year) was a special year that was marked as a particular reference.

For example: "再来一個上年, 公司就要破產 "-- "one more (year like) last year, the company will bankrupt"

Somethings when I play the computer games for a whole morning, my friends would say: 你居然打了一个上午的游戏 !(you should play the game for for a whole morning), here 一个 was used to emphasis.

• Don't your friends say 一個上天? But I think you explained the basic point. It seems to mean 一個多年 (2 years or more, according to my feeble knowledge) – Ludi Mar 10 '17 at 18:07
    In fact, we don't often use 一个上天,since 上天 means go to the sky rather than yesterday. ps: “一个” means may refers to one or a, depends on different situation. like 一个下午,我遇到了一个以前的朋友( one day afternoon, I came across one of my friend),the first 一个means one , but not used to emphasis, we always emphasis when we want to express a whole period of time. – Ciel Mar 10 '17 at 19:24

这是个错误的语法!你可以说上一个年头,或者去年,但绝对不可以说上一个年!

This is wrong. You can say "上一个年头" or "去年", but never "上一个年".

• I thingk you meant 绝对. – songyuanyao Mar 13 '17 at 1:38
  • @songyuanyao 手误,sorry – Chinese boy Mar 13 '17 at 15:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.