How can I say "I think the Eastern culture is much wiser than Western culture"?

I've tried "我想东文化比西文化很明智的", but Google is translating this as "I think the Eastern culture is very wise" (!!)

I'm in doubt if I should use a 是, or if I could drop the final 的. Like "我想东文化是比西文化很明智". If 的 is necessary, what's exactly its function in the sentence?

很 not used in comparisons,why not 东方文化比西方文化明智多了/得多
    – user6065
    Mar 13, 2017 at 0:47
  • What does Google say if you drop 很 or drop 的, or both? Mar 13, 2017 at 0:49
  • @user6065 Both 我想东文化比西文化明智很多 and 我想东文化比西文化明智得多 work. Thank you!
    – Rodrigo
    Mar 13, 2017 at 0:54
  • @ColinMcLarty If I drop the 很, I lose the "much". If I drop the 的, I get "I think the East culture is very wise than the West culture". If I drop both, "I think the Eastern culture is more wise than the West culture", no "much" again.
    – Rodrigo
    Mar 13, 2017 at 1:00
    feeding 东文化 to jukuu: 0 results, feeding 东方文化 72 results of which first 34 contain the unbroken sequence
    – user6065
    Mar 13, 2017 at 1:05

3 Answers 3

I think the Eastern culture is much wiser than Western culture

Translation:

"I think" can be translated as 我认为 我的想法是 我觉得 我的观点是 etc

“much wiser than” can be translated as 比XX更聪明 比XX更有智慧 比XX聪明的多 etc

In conclusion:

1、我认为东方文化比西方文化更高明。

2、我觉得东方文化比西方文化更有智慧。

3、我认为,相比西方文化,东方文化更有智慧。

• Thank you! 我想 is wrong? Or is it just less used? Maybe too informal? And what about 明智 for wise?
    – Rodrigo
    Mar 13, 2017 at 15:17
  • less used in this context,想 has many other meanings :bkrs:想to think to believe to suppose to wish to want to miss (feel wistful about the absence of sb or sth) xiǎng think, speculate, plan, consider 1) 开动脑筋:思索;想办法|想方设法。 2) 推测;认为:我想他今天不会来。 3) 希望;打算:我想到杭州去一趟。 1) 怀念;想念:想家|我们很想你。jukuu:a. desirous v. think wish feel suppose believe hold expect consider 想 also used as modal verb (能愿动词)表示"愿望"、"打算"examples for 想/think:What were these people thinking? 这些人在怎么想呢?feed "想 think" to jukuu to get 100 examples,
    – user6065
    Mar 14, 2017 at 0:12
    My Chinese teacher liked specially number 2. I'll use it. Thank you a lot!
    – Rodrigo
    Mar 16, 2017 at 17:05

不需要加“是”字,还有,明智在这里很拗口,用楼上的“智慧”是个不错的选择

I think this sentence ought to give people an accurate impression of the situation:

我认为中国人崇洋拜外比不上西方人搞东方主义。

• What exactly do you mean? What's the English translation of your Chinese sentence?
    – Rodrigo
    Mar 13, 2017 at 20:26
  • @Rodrigo, might I suggest you familiarize yourself with the concepts of "cultural essentialism" and "orientalism"? Mar 13, 2017 at 22:27
  • Yes, you may. But you may better yet speak clearly and to the point?
    – Rodrigo
    Mar 13, 2017 at 22:39
  • I know what cultural essentialism is. But to deny the main differences between both cultures is very shallow. Have you studied anything of Eastern philosophy? Have you seen my argument with Tang Ho above? Or are you one of those who say something and run, pretending you have won the argument?
    – Rodrigo
    Mar 14, 2017 at 17:57
  • -1 since you don't want to answer the questions that would make your thoughts more clear.
    – Rodrigo
    Mar 16, 2017 at 17:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.