I noticed that CC-CEDICT uses a mixture. For example:

mian4: 前面, 对面, 里面
mian5: 后面, 上面, 下面, 外面

ABC is similar except:

mian4: 后面 (but also has mian5 as a less common pronunciation)
mian5: 前面

Is there any standard for these? Is it reasonable that the same dictionary would have a mixture like these do?

Baidu Dict has all 面 as 4th tone.

Sorry I can't tell the strict grammar rule (about the tone of when used for the meaning of "side, aspect") as a native Chinese. I tried some research, but can't find any uniform and convincing explanation about it. So I tried to summarize it by myself as follows:

1. light tone only:

上面, 下面

For 上面 and 下面, without special context, when pronounced with the 4th tone tends to be considered as noodle.

2. 4th tone only:

对面

For 对面, can't be pronounced with the light tone, it's just weird.

3. both light tone and 4th tone:

前面, 后面, 里面, 外面, 左面, 右面

In these cases is pronounced by light tone more commonly.

• Thanks! please could you also include 里面 in your answer? – Mark Mar 27 '17 at 3:35
    @MarkCarter Added, and also 左面/右面. – songyuanyao Mar 27 '17 at 3:38
  • Would it be possible to format the answer (to make it more understandable) so that it is groups into 3 parts: . 1. neutral only, 2. 4th tone only, 3. both acceptable ? – Mark Mar 27 '17 at 3:40
    @MarkCarter Fine. – songyuanyao Mar 27 '17 at 3:47
    @MarkCarter That's why I said "can't find any uniform and convincing explanations", it seems chaotic; it's even not uniform among dictionaries. And most dictionary doesn't consider about the variation of pronunciation, including the light tone. – songyuanyao Mar 27 '17 at 4:41

As a native Chinese speaker, I pronounce mian (neutral tone) only to make my words soft, and miàn definitely when I want to emphasize. I think there's no difference, what other character stands before 面. When 面 stands before other characters, I constantly pronounce miàn.

• The issue only occurs when 面 is used in a "side; aspect" word (on, under, next to, behind, etc). All other words with 面 as second character use mian4 (at least from dictionaries I've seen). – Mark Mar 29 '17 at 2:45
    @hsulin 我觉得你写错了,miān是第一声,不是轻声。正写是mian或者mian5.你可以改正吗?或者我也可以 //@hsulin I think you made a mistake when writing miān, you probably should have written "mian" or "mian5" which is pinyin for the neutral tone. I can edit your post or you can to fix this. – goPlayerJuggler Mar 30 '17 at 9:01
  • @goPlayerJuggler 当时查了一下,说:“轻声一般不被当作声调看待,因为它没有固定的调值”。我觉得自己发的是第一声。现在,看到一种说法,“语法上的虚词、或有虚化性质的方位名词和趋向动词,一般都会念轻声”。我想你是正确的的。 – hsulin Mar 30 '17 at 12:22
  • @hsulin Would you also pronounce 面 in 4th tone when 上面 or 下面 is said before other characters? – Mark Apr 27 '17 at 5:05
    @MarkCarter Yes. And I think it's always right in 4th tone, but here pronounce the 4th tone not too "harsh". – hsulin Apr 28 '17 at 16:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.