For example, how would I say something like "Harvard rejected me" or "Harvard accepted me"?

2 Answers 2


reject: 拒绝, 驳回, 否决, 否认

Harvard rejected me.

accept: 接受, 答应, 采纳, 采用, 接纳, 录取

Harvard accepted me.


Probably the OP is thinking of 錄取. This is the verb that means 'admit'; 'give a place in a class', 'allow to register as a full-time student.' It is perhaps more common (in China) to say something like 考進某大學, meaning you have passsed the admission exam or just 進某大學 'to enter or get into a university'

The opposite of 錄取 is simply 沒有錄取, there is no separate verb such as 'reject'. It is also of course possible that a school accepts/rejects your application for a job, or even accepts/rejects you or your ideas as good/smart/moral etc. These senses one would not use 錄取, but other words such as 聘請 or 雇用人 for jobs, or 接收人 for your moral probity or fellowship.

  • Since the acception or rejection is, from the student's point of view, very passive, I would perhaps say 'I have been accepted/rejected by X uni.' Is it ok to say: 我被某大学录取了/不被录取?
    – Pedroski
    Commented Apr 3, 2017 at 23:02
  • 我被录取了。/我没被录取。You should not say 我不被录取。
    – Leo Liu
    Commented Apr 5, 2017 at 16:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.