During my last Chinese tandem, me and my study partner translated several sentences. It rather confused me than it helped. There arose three main questions:
How do you express “how many times” and “how often” in Chinese? How many times asks for a precise answer to frequency, numerically supported. “How often” can be answered vaguely.
How does one express “how long”? This can be answered in either way.
Are the following sentences translated correctly? If not, what is the correct word order and translation?
你多久去游泳? How long do you swim?
你每周多少次去游 永? How often a week do you go swimming?
你每周去游几次 永? How many times a week do you go swimming?
你每天去游泳吗? Do you go swimming every day?
你每天去多久游泳? How long do you swim everyday?
你每个小时休息几次? How many times a hour do you take a break?
你每个小时多少分钟 休息?How many minutes an hour do you rest?
你每个小时休息多长时间. How often an hour do you rest?
你多久休息. How long do you rest?
我 一小时 休息三次。 I rest three times an hour.