Is this sentence "encircle the comma using slash" right? Actually, I want to figure out this situation \,\ I doubt the word 'encircle' is not accurate.

  • This is not a Chinese Language and Usage question... – NS.X. Oct 18 '12 at 7:26
  • Where can I ask this question?I see a couple of questions like this.For example,chinese.stackexchange.com/questions/2250/… thanks – liam xu Oct 18 '12 at 7:28
  • I might be wrong but IMO that question is really about the meaning of a specific Chinese idiom; this question is really about how to put something in English while the source language happened to be Chinese. – NS.X. Oct 18 '12 at 17:58
  • Please refer to this meta Q/A. – NS.X. Oct 18 '12 at 18:01
  • 1
    @liamxu - Hi Liam, I suggest you ask this question on the English StackExchange site english.stackexchange.com – going Oct 18 '12 at 22:05

I think "enclose" would be a better word since "encircle" usually means to surround by forming a circle. Note that the character \ is actually a back slash, not a slash (/).

"Enclose the comma with two back slashes."

Another alternative word is "pad":

"Pad the comma with one back slash in front and one behind."

Or "delimit" if the purpose is to separate some text. But I doubt it is the case here.


Yes, the meaning you guessed is correct. Maybe it is best to translate it as: Put the comma between slashes.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.