I have a very poor grasp of Chinese, being only a beginner learning.
These are two parallel translations of John 1:17.
The best I can make sense of them is:
1) because law is via moses bestow[ed] inferior[ly] clear
2) law source is via moses propagate[d] clear
For proper context, the source text these lines are translating is this:
- ὅτι ὁ νόμος διὰ Μωϋσέως ἐδόθη,
- oti o nomos dia moyseos edothi,
- for the law via Moses was-given,
What seems to differentiate these two in meaning, is the reading of 下的 that I have come up with. I seem to have, perhaps, made some amatuer error in generating that reading of the characters.
What is a proper rendering of 下的 here, and what is the meaning of 的 in this context in general? How does the 是---的 construction work here, if its wrong to read 的 as "clear"?