I tend to see it a lot in text books and guides: 唱歌/唱歌儿 事/事儿 But it's always listed as optional, so what's the deal with it?

• en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erhua – user6065 Apr 19 '17 at 14:30
  • used to adjust rhythm of pronunciations of a statement (i.e. tones, speed), to save efforts, weaken non-important words. when we has a long speech, lecture, we need adjust rhythm of statements, i.e. avoid keeping your mouth opening for a long period, let's change to pronounce a word with half-open mouth. – Daniel Yeung Apr 26 '17 at 1:34

Adding the 儿 to the end of a word is known as 儿化 (er2hua4). Whether or not you use the 儿 really just comes down to regional accents/dialects, but the meaning of the word is unchanged. Generally speaking, northern mandarin dialects use the erhua more than southern ones; in some regions you'll almost never hear anyone use the erhua in speech.

There are some words where the added erhua changes the word's meaning, but these are usually regional/colloquial terms, such as 天儿, which means the same as 天气, not 天.

Erhua might differ in various dialects. Below I use Beijing dialect for example:

Erhua is hard to master, even for me(native southern Chinese). Sometimes I think it's unnecessary because the even the local might be wrong, but the wrong could be the right if everyone uses the wrong way.

1. Meaning Difference. Put a 儿 after a word could have different meaning:

「宝贝」和「宝贝儿」: the First one normally mean a precious item, the later one usually mean close people, like lover.

「汆」和「汆儿」: the First one mean a way to cook; 「汆儿」 usual means the marinade for dry noodle b.

1. Part of speech Difference:

Verb -> Noun

托 → 托儿 | 乐 → 乐儿 | 约会 → 约会儿

Adjective -> Noun

亮 → 亮儿 | 空 → 空儿 | 好 → 好儿

Verb-> Demonstrative

下 → 下儿 | 摊 → 摊儿 | 拨 → 拨儿

Noun ->Demonstrative

门 → 门儿 | 桌 → 桌儿 | 道 → 道儿

Etc.....

1. Show Emotion

a. Positive

命 → 小命儿 | 灯笼 → 小灯笼儿 | 剪子 → 小剪子儿 | 镜子 → 小镜子儿 |发小 → 发小儿 | 家雀 → 家雀儿 | 心肝 → 心肝儿

b. Negative

光棍 → 光棍儿 | 小偷 → 小偷儿 | 傻冒 → 傻冒儿 | 白丁 → 白丁儿 

Bad place or bad thing, like "Death死", there are several saying to 玩儿完了|蹬腿儿了|翻白眼儿了|嗝儿屁了|嗝儿了|
  • 很好的回答!三天前有了相似的问题。 我觉得,如果在你写的用‘儿’, 例如‘仔儿’或‘滚儿’然后人看你写的,这就是普通话。在北京花里人看’仔‘会说’zar‘看’滚‘会说’guar‘。什么‘儿’都没有!他们的方言改编了拼音。你怎么看法? – Pedroski Apr 19 '17 at 22:47
  • @Pedroski Firstly, Mandarin is based on "Beijing Dialect". That's why Mandarin shares similarities with "Beijing Dialect". Pinyin is a standard system for official usage. And 北京话里的仔actually is zai-er. Just like "they are" and "they're" – Kevman Apr 19 '17 at 23:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.