I saw this sentence on a textbook:

漂漂亮亮地参加晚会

Without more context information, what is the translation of that sentence?

I think it has a meaning of "(a girl) dress up beautifully before going to a party", but I'm not quite sure.

3 Answers 3

Your understanding is correct. This sentence is equivalent to

打扮得漂漂亮亮去参加晚会

There is a special point:

If you say this word with a pronunciation piàopiàoliāngliāng (i.e. XX阴平阴平) but not piàopiàoliangliang, it also means "well done", "a neat job", "in style", "chicly",or "be not a procrastinator".

E.g.:

他漂漂亮亮地把事儿给办成了。 -- He did a neat job!

That's natural + welcome Chinese:)

• How does this answer the question?? Oct 24, 2012 at 7:43
  • @JamesJiao I guess that 0xB2CC's answer should be a comment instead.
    – dusan
    Oct 27, 2012 at 23:48

Seems it's out of context, but:

In the case of adjectives composed of two characters (morphemes), generally each of the two characters is reduplicated separately: piàoliang 漂亮 (beautiful) reduplicates as piàopiàoliangliang 漂漂亮亮 (source: wikipedia).

And as we know, the function of reduplication is to extend the meaning of the words. So, since the 漂漂亮亮 has no first subject to mention (i.e.: The woman, etc.), 漂漂亮亮 can't stand alone for only 漂亮, So, the subject here is: 漂亮. And it could means:

1. The beautiful woman dressing nice (before/while) attends the party;
  2. 'The beautiful man' dressing nice (before/while) attends the party.

'The beautiful man' just the same with the handsome guys.

• Oh, I thought you can't use 漂亮 with "man".
    – dusan
    Oct 22, 2012 at 17:10
    @dusan: Of course you can use it.. There is no restriction about the usage of that word. You can use it whenever you see something really good and just saying: 漂亮..
    – mrjimoy_05
    Oct 24, 2012 at 0:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.