Is there anybody who can help me, please?..

I have studied that in this setence: "Zhongguo de youpiao" zhongguo characterizes youpiao e that's why we use the particle "de", but I found this sentence: "Zhongguo cha" where the word Zhongguo seems to characterize the word "cha", so why don't we use the particle "de" in this case?

非常感谢你的帮助!

Most 的 in the "attribute+的+headword" structure like 中国的邮票 can be omitted, except when the attribute is a superlative adjective or the modifier is too long. You have to refer to the context whether to omit it or not.

• Thank you so much for your help once againg. I'd be glad to help you, you'll just have to forgive if I don't answer you right away sometimes, since I have a very busy life, besides studying chinese I teach. – Clara Fonseca May 15 '17 at 8:17

It's the same case as Engligh right? We can also say in English: China Tea, or Chinese Tea. As long as omitting "de" does not introduce ambiguity, it's fine. However, it will sounds more like a proper noun instead of adj.+noun.

• Thank you so much for your help! So when we ommit the "de" in this kind of situations it is like if the adjective becomes a noun. – Clara Fonseca May 12 '17 at 11:24

it's happy that i can hele you to learn chinese,actually i m chinese,if i explain wrong with english grammar,hope you forgive me.ok,let's begin.in fact 'zhongguo cha' also mean 'zhongguo de cha',the first one is a abbreviation of'zhongguo de cha',the word 'de' in chinese means something belones somebody or something,or somebody do something using 'de' connect,for example:'shui faming le dengpao?' ,'Edison faming de.' --which in english means 'who create lights?','Edison create it'. and i want to make a friend who major in software,because i want ask question in stackoverflow,but my english is not well to organize my sentences to ask in a good way.so i help you learn chinese when i m free,and you help me change my question into a better english sentence.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.