I am reading a short story (set around 1976) by 魏微 (born in 1970 in Jiangsu, studied in Nanjing). The word 衣衫 repeatedly occurs. I searched the net and found references from 紅樓夢 and 唐詩, but the short story is among the easiest I have ever read, making but sparse use of 成語 and fancy vocabulary.

My dictionary defines 衣衫 as clothes. Is there a difference to 衣服? Any regional flavour, literary flavour or era related flavour for which one may choose it?

I searched jukuu and it seems to be rare outside fixed expressions. 魏微 uses it quite casually:

⋯我母亲那时很喜欢我,为我做很多漂亮的衣衫⋯

Or:

我穿着最好看的衣衫,倚在家门口的一棵老槐树上,⋯

• bkrs:衣衫 [coat or clothing] 单衣; 衣服| 同义: 衣服, 衣物, 衣着yīzhuó, 衣裳 小马词典 has 20 compounds all ending in 衫, e.g. 衬衫 shirt; blouse; of course 衣服 much more common – user6065 May 12 '17 at 18:36
  • I like 魏微very much. What story r u reading? Is that 看叔叔们谈恋爱,which happened at a place called 微湖闸? – Qing Zhang Jun 12 '17 at 5:35
  • 衣衫is just a fancy way to say 衣服in this context. In daily Chinese, no body would say 衣衫, but in literature, 衣衫is quite often. – Qing Zhang Jun 12 '17 at 5:38
  • @QingZhang 是這篇:m.xiabook.com/xiandai/14751/936678.html – Ludi Jun 12 '17 at 11:33
  • You might want to read 看叔叔们谈恋爱 – Qing Zhang Jun 13 '17 at 1:33

In olden time, there might be difference between the two terms

」[ (2) [upper garment;jacket] 衣,所以蔽体者也。上曰衣,下曰裳。]

and

」, [(1) 古代指无袖头的开衩上衣 [sleeveless jacket with vent in the sides of a jacket]. ]

In modern Chinese language, both 衣 and 衫 simply refers to 'clothes one wears on his upper body'

Together, 「衣衫 」is a compound word for the general term 'upper garment' much like 「刀劍 」(knife and sword) is a general term for 'weapons'

「服」as a noun, refers 'every article of clothing one wear on his person'. For example:  「軍服」(military uniform), 「制服」(uniform). 

「服」is also a verb for 'to wear' 

Together,「衣服」is a general term for 'clothes/clothing' just like 「刀斧」(knife and axe) is a general term for 'weapons'

「衣服」 is much more common than 「衣衫」 in day-to-day words.

A related term is 「衣裳」(upper garment + lower garment), which is also a general term for 'clothing'

I'd like to answer this question in the perspective of accent.

In Jiang-Huai Mandarin, clothes are more often to be call 衣裳. Maybe the author does not have a good knowledge of linguistics, and thought it as 衣衫.

In standard Northern Mandarin, the most formal way to say clothes is 衣服. Although 衣衫/衣裳 is understandable, but it sounds genteel and not appropriate in oral language.

@Tang Ho have an excellent and detailed explanation.

In a word, 衣服 is more like a daily word we would use. 衣衫 is a word we might see in literature material. It's a little bit wired to say"衣衫" without using any idiom/set-phrase.

For example, when it comes to describing "easily discovered, seen, or understood". The words like "obvious", "apparent" are more likely to be used than "manifest".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.